18 February, 2010

Art at Rodarte

I am really loving how designers have started live streaming their collections. They have finally let us have a little sneak peak into the world we all dream of one day being a part of. As Lee McQueen said, it allows us to "see the collection as I see it myself, not an interpretation of the theme by outside forces". And he was right, it is great to see the audience filing in and taking there much envied seats and watch an un-edited version of the designers creation.

Kate and Laura Mulleavy are spectacular designers and just when I though it couldn't get any better than Wang live, Rodarte raised the bar with a magnificent show live streamed right in to my bedroom. I love Rodarte, they are always so creative with colour and texture and somehow always manage to create such beautiful feminine clothing in the most un-expected of ways.

The thing I love most about the Mulleavy sister's collections is the range of emotion and themes they portray through their designs. Their collections have a trend of starting off very bright and charming but then slowly deteriorating into a darker, more sinister look. I find myself torn between these two very different aesthetics as they both see beautiful garments but in very contrastive ways. Though it is this diversity which makes Rodarte's clothing so appealing and accessible.

However, Rodarte's Fall 2010 collection saw the triumph of the angel as the models flounced down the catwalk laden with lace, pale chiffon, heavenly sheers, feminine florals, delicate knits and all the intricate detailing which I love of Rodarte. This was a truly beautiful collection.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I really loved the use of embroidered sheer fabric in the designs, so delicate and beautiful.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
These final saintly gowns for me were very reminiscent of an angelic take on the sinister final frocks in John Galliano's Fall 2007 Ready to Wear collection. (a collection I will always be very much in love with)